keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the supremes

I can’t count the amount of times I have made Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings by myself. I enjoyed being in the kitchen before sunrise to dress and put the turkey in the oven then begin preparations for the other foods of the feast. There was a rhythm to the ritual, a certain order in which dishes would get made. Moving from one to the next as the aromas began to mix and mingle was joyous. Though I haven’t done it in years, I still know how to do it all from start to finish (except for the sweet potato pies) but like the fact that these days we (meaning me and my sister or friends depending on where I’m having dinner) have divided up the responsibilities.

Following a recipe to the letter never comes into play for me except when I have to bake certain things. I recall the red and white checkered cover of the Better Homes and Garden cook book circa 1960/70 that was in our kitchen when I was younger and if I remember correctly, it was like a notebook so you could add new recipes as you collected them. I don’t know what happened to that treasure. I did write down the ingredients for my favorite thing to make sans the steps to make it because I had made them so often, there was no need to jot down what to do, so bear with my description.

Supreme Biscuits
Preheat oven to 450 degrees

2 C. and ¼ tsp. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. salt
1 stick butter
¾ C. buttermilk

1) In large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cut butter into small pieces, add to flour mixture and with fingers pinch butter and flour until it’s crumbly (you can also use two knives but I like getting my hands dirty!). Make a well in the center and add milk, stir with a fork until moistened.

2) Turn mixture onto a floured surface and knead four to six times then roll out until at least ½ inch thick (the thicker the dough, the higher they will rise). I flour the edge of a round glass with a mouth opening of about 2 inches to cut the dough. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake until brown, approximately 12 minutes. Makes about a dozen depending on size.

I was curious to know if these biscuits were still included in BH&G’s cookbooks and of course Googled to find their site. To my delight, Biscuits Supreme appeared though the measurements seemed a little different than what I copied years ago. Unless you have your grandma’s recipe, I highly recommend  these. Hot from the oven with butter, their crunchy tops and soft fluffy moist middles will make you want to slap your momma (just a saying for the unfamiliar)! And listen, forget trying to make them more healthy by substituting alternate ingredients, they just won’t be the same.

We all know the drill during the holiday season…eat the things you like in moderation, fold in some exercise and be thankful, grateful as you enjoy. Happy cooking and happy Thanksgiving!

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment