keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

road less traveled

My BFF never takes the same route back to her home that she took in previous days. I’ve been sampling a page from her road guide, turning off before my exit, using a different lettered street as I go from the west to the east side of town instead of my tried and true, and forking to the curve that calls to me instead of going straight. One of my favorite diversions is any ride in Rock Creek Park especially when I need to get out of the bumper-to-bumper that moves by the dictate of un-synced traffic lights. A sudden feeling of peace washes over me when I make the turn that takes me down a hill into a place that I frequented for picnics, barbeques and just a getaway with my grandparents as a child. The trees and shrubs covered in greenery or without, flowers in spring and summer, the constant flowing brook sometimes iced over, trails that lead from the road into places yet to explore, tunnels that come out of nowhere, bridges at eyelevel and the many overpasses seen from below make the ride a pleasure of treasures, different each time I’m there. The one thing that is a little frustrating for me is not being able to pull over whenever I wish to take photos. I find myself rolling down the window for some fast clicks when the cars are moving slow (I’m not the only one who gets off the main drag during rush hour however, we still move faster) or if I come to a parking lot to pull into that is close to what caught my eye a few yards back.






 
 

Not only is taking a road less traveled creative and fun, it also satisfies my curiosity about where I would end up if I went that way instead of this and is actually a really smart move. Familiarity with where the highways, byways and streets lead will save time and stress when traffic is a nightmare and who knows, maybe a life in an emergency situation, so be adventurous and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment