keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

things we do

Sunday before last, I awoke feeling refreshed after a tough week and remembered I had agreed to help a class of third graders with a geography lesson. I have to admit, it was not my favorite subject when I was younger but I had given my word so I bounced out of bed, bundled up, and at 7:00am (before the tourists hit the sights), I buckled Flat Stanley into the passenger seat of my car to take him to some of the memorials. You see, what I had promised was to send a postcard from my city to the class then ensure that this character would be mailed to someone else who would then repeat the process. But there was something that compelled me to get a bit more creative with this hence my decision to take photographs and construct a simple book to glue them into instead of buying a postcard.

It turned out to be a most exhilarating 30 minutes as we rode close to the sites and parked illegally for just the amount of time it took me to hop out to snap a picture, pictures that once viewed during the download made me pause in awe. I’m not sure if it was the time of day, my desire to capture the majesty of the Nation’s Capital, the childlike glee that comes with play (I held the paper construction up to see each place we stopped) or all of the aforementioned, I just know that the photographs evoked a feeling that I believe the students will relate to. It gave me great pride as I typed the name of each location onto the photo and I giggled while crafting the book using an old map of Washington as the background, glue everywhere!







Sometimes it’s not important to know what drives the good things we do. I just hope the class in a school somewhere in GA will feel the loving energy that went into making a memory not just for them but for me too. Still searching for a responsible friend somewhere in the world so Stanley can continue on his journey, so heads up friends and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment