keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

distract(ed) me


I watched a very sobering program this week on distracted driving. I rarely talked on my cell when I took to the road. That earpiece, be it attached to a wire or as an extension tucked around the ear, was enough to drive me to distraction making the whole cruise and chat thing totally distracting. As for sending a text, I am still no where close to being a sophisticated texter when my feet are firmly planted on the ground let alone in a car and let’s not even discuss trying to walk and text at the same time. That said, when I purchased an I Phone my common sense flew right out the window of my sports mobile! I don’t know what in heavens name got into my head but I have attempted to text while driving on a number of occasions, certainly have held my phone in my hand, speaker feature engaged, as I engaged in conversation and the worst offense…taking pictures as I drove! After viewing the show on Monday, I found my lost mind and vow to distract me not when operating my auto.

So in case you missed Oprah, here’s a stat to consider…you are 4 times more likely to get into an accident if you drink and drive OR talk on your cell phone, you are 8 times as likely to get into an accident if you drive and text. There were three who just knew they had the whole communication in the car thing down. They swore they could text, talk and drive; a road test proved otherwise. Grieving people who lost loved ones shared their stories, those who were responsible for that grief spoke apologetically knowing full well that nothing they said could bring back the lives they took. No words can describe the horrific destruction of the vehicles involved.

Audience members wore shirts with a slogan that I can’t remember at this hour of the morning, so I wrote one myself…"when you turn on the ignition turn off the cell" and...

keep your peepers open! ® (and on the road)

No comments:

Post a Comment