keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

down deep

The first cut is the deepest is more than the first line of a song. On Sunday I sat down to the table for the first time since October to create a collage goddess (see 9/20/09 at the table and 10/11/09 engaged stillness). It isn’t like I haven’t produced a goddess during this time lapse but making metal wild women was a whole other process that somehow never lent itself to developing a ritual like the one I practice before I start cutting. I had missed this habit of sorts so on Sunday a familiar energy pulsed through my body as I danced to the table. Lipstick applied, scent dabbed, earrings dangling, candles twinkling, I chanted a prayer, pushed play and the intoxicating voice of a chanteuse who I had only recently become acquainted with cried out, “Mi NiƱa Lola!” My breath quickened, quieted. Scissors firmly grasped, I made the first clip as Concha Buika, Sara Tavares, Thandiswa Mazwai and others sang words in tongue my ear could not translate but down deep were unmistakably understood. A creative trance that I recognized encircled me and just as I welcomed it in it began to taunt me. After so many months could I reconnect with whomever, whatever allows me to bring forth a being from cut up cut outs? And though I have not made one of my paper dolls in months, permission was granted…

snipped clippings
let’s try on some shoes

lovin' this crinoline

ready for my close up y'all
…oh my!

well here I am!
...as if I had never left the table, so…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment