keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

it's my birthday...

Well actually it was yesterday but I celebrate all month. Yesterday was the beginning of my own personal New Year. I cherish my day and love to acknowledge others when it’s their turn to usher in the start of another year of life. People always marvel at how I remember them, though I can never understand why. To me, it’s simply a matter of finding a few small things -- cards, a writing instrument, stamps, a calendar and oops, perhaps not a small thing to some of you, that elusive thing called TIME. I confess that I too resort to email salutations, congratulations, etc. However, when it comes to birthdays it is texture all the way! There is nothing like receiving a birthday card in the mail, it’s so personal. Someone took the time to go to the store, make a selection then send it to me. I like opening the envelope, looking at the design, reading the message and feeling special on my day. So I’ll try to make this easy for you. Keep a calendar of birthdays, go ahead and use an electronic one. If you can’t get to the store, give back. Go online and buy a box of birthday cards from UNICEF or some other non-profit and put them in your desk drawer along with stamps and return address stickers (I am sure you get them in the mail from any number of organizations seeking your support). Do whatever is easiest to prompt you to write and send the cards on time, even if it means you send out cards once a month to cover everyone in that month. I’m sure they won’t mind being recognized a little early or just a few days late…it really is the thought that counts.

And while we are chatting about birthdays, I’ve been on the planet long enough to acquire many treasures. Earlier this year, my very best friend decided to treat her friends on her birthday rather than receive more things that though appreciated really weren’t needed. Instead, she cruised the streets in a long black limousine plucking each of us from our respective abodes, whisked us off to The Red Door for manicures, and later treated us to lunch. It was a perfect day in every way, more about time spent rather than dollars wasted, a day that still brings fond memories more valuable than any treasure I can hold in my hand. So I decided to take a page from her playbook and create a birthday play date for me and my gals. This afternoon we will turn hot liquid glass into paperweights or bowls; I’m making the latter. Our email exchanges leading up to today have been sparked with excitement. We’re looking forward to setting an Autumnal table with nibbles and thirst quenchers that we will share as our pieces cool down. We get to dress down, wrap our hair up, and just be girls at play. Though it’s hours away, I am already elated knowing that our time together will leave me with moments I will laugh about each time I gaze at the bowl designed with my very own hands filled to the brim with their spirits.

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year October Babies! Do something gracious, memorable and…

keep your peepers open! ®

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Wild Wonder Woman.... so excited to be a part of your day :)!

    ReplyDelete