keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

don’t get demoralized, get energized!

Whenever my body shuts down and puts me out I know something is up. The year I was on disability the walls of my NYC apartment began to close in. I needed an outlet, an escape. I pulled out a dust covered bag of what I thought was papier-mâché mix with the intention of finally teaching myself how to sculpt a bowl with strips of paper dipped in the pasty mixture. As I read the directions, my heart sank…I had purchased paper pulp. For a few moments, I sat looking at the big powdery white flakes encased in plastic not knowing what to do. Certainly I could not “make lemonade” but maybe I could make something else. I poured a portion of the fluff into a red bucket, added warm water and stuck my hands in; I was in heaven squishing the “white mud” between my fingers. Eventually the goop stiffened and I decided to roll it like dough. Maybe I could throw it over a bowl or into a container and let it dry… Within a matter of months, I had sculpted and painted over 30 vessels. I didn’t know at the time that I was being prepared for my destiny.

Many times since then, I have been yanked out of commission because I refused to slow down to listen to the voice of my heart’s desire. It wanted to talk to me about that destiny I mentioned. Not later but right now! Staring at the ceiling or curled up in the fetal position, over and over again my forced “sick times of reflection” have provided me with the next steps to my destiny that I had been chasing right in front of me.

Recently, a situation not in anyone’s control caused a major shift in business as usual. Shock, disappointment and malaise moved into a creative space turning it into a tomb full of demoralized spirits myself included. We needed an energy infusion!!! I gathered the ghouls for an impromptu escape just before we all gasped our last breath. Over coffee, various themes on an egg, and purging souls I likened this time of change to my “sick time.” How about using this down period to regroup, reflect and develop a new approach to the usual business? Why not choose our own well sculpted colors for whatever our destiny was to be?

In our rapidly moving multi-tasked lives how often do we self select down time? How many minutes can you sit still and be? Try it, I dare you. Even when we go on vacation, we don’t turn off, tune out and immerse ourselves in the pleasure of being “off.” The next time you find yourself looking at the ceiling because your body snatched you into bed or shifting in an unexpected tide whether it business or otherwise, be grateful. Destiny wants to talk to you and it’s NOT on your cell phone. You may get frustrated not knowing what the heck it is saying but destiny takes time and is not the least bit concerned with our impatience. What you may not understand is down time just might help you give birth to your dreams without one minute of labor, unless of course you resist. So be still, keep moving and…

keep your peepers open! ®

1 comment:

  1. E.E. your dare is worth the challenge. slow down the train not only to offset emotional crash but to take a look at the world from the normal speed of life.

    ReplyDelete