keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

no case scenario

Spring and autumn are my favorite seasons. Old limbs that have stretched naked under the sky sprout new buds that will turn into cool billowy dresses for the hot months. These frocks transform themselves daily until it’s time for the trees to get all gussied up for Mother Nature’s annual fashion extravaganza coming to a town near you! And let me just say, make-up artists, dressers, event planners need not apply as there is no assistance necessary, no dress rehearsal to do. On cue each tree flaunts its own dazzling array of colors that designers will never be able to truly mimic. Grounded they pose, throw out twirling kisses that fall to the grass, bend naughtily like burlesque dancers, perform a strip tease that makes no one blush just before the light grows dimmer sooner leaving them exposed once again. Seasonal changes are miraculous, seasonal time changes…well that’s a production that gives me pause.

Springing ahead takes back an hour of sleep. It takes me a minute until I get used to the time change then I am blissful about my long walks that start well before 6:00AM. Just before we fall back months later, it is dark at 6:00…6:30…6:45AM. My walks grow shorter; I wait for Father Time to give me back some early morning light and the past couple of years I’ve had to wait longer since Bush changed daylight savings time. My walks continue while I wait until a no case scenario greets me at dawn in either one of two forms -- dark and cold OR cold and rainy. Way too many mornings here lately I have awakened to find that Father and Mother have sabotaged my time with nature. It’s over before I turn over when I wake up reaching for the comforter or hear rain splashing against the leaves outside my window. I hit the snooze, snuggle under, and wonder if my thighs are spreading just a little...I better go.

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment