keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

her first

Today my first niece graduates from high school, leaves for her first year of college at the end of the summer. I look at a picture of the first time I saw her just before her first Christmas. She was just a tiny bundle wriggling around in a baby jumpsuit with feet taking in her surroundings and me. I love our first photo together me holding her, both of us in hats, her first bought by me just for her.

The first time I played baby sitter, she was determined to stay awake pacifier moving fast as she studied my face and the huge carnelian on my finger. She attempted to remove the ring several times; I was careful to prevent that from happening on my first watch so afraid she would put it in her mouth and swallow it but the more I resisted, the more she persisted! Finally, she gazed into my eyes in a manner that gained my full attention, pointed to the ring then pointed to her chest. It was a moment I will never forget. She clearly communicated her first message to me without speaking a word, her first still yet to come. Of course I had to take off the ring allowing her to handle her first piece of jewelry. She turned it over in her tiny hands inspecting every angle, handed it back to me, put her head down on my chest and we both took a nap. A memory I savor...

To my niece who I love it is with pride and teary eyes that I scribe the word congratulations! To you and all the others in the class of 2012, there are so many firsts ahead of you. As you go forth, keep an open heart and mind and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment