keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

summer sounds

The searing heat combined with a malfunctioning air system in my vintage vehicle has unleashed my inner road rage on the regular! A desire, make that temporary madness, to reach whatever the destination before my face begins to flush in shades of fuchsia, my neck becomes adorned with a choker of perspiration beads, and I’m arrested for indecent exposure while operating a dangerous object, takes over with the first breath of barely breathable air. (Whew! Gettin’ a tad bit worked up here just thinking about it!) So what’s a hot little savage beastess to do?

I’ll try to spare you the cliché however music might be the answer. I’ve gotten so used to savoring the quiet of my car, that the radio/CD player has a permanent resting place in its case in the house until I know I’m taking a long trip. I picked up some new sounds for the summer while grocery shopping c/o Whole Foods who places tempting inedible treats at the check out! Both CD’s are light, rather easy breezy, soothing to the ear yet just funky enough to keep you distracted but alert with finger taps on the steering wheel and gentle head bopping.

As I started to compose my thoughts this morning, some good old favorite summery grooves began to float into consciousness c/o Lonnie Liston Smith & the Cosmic Echoes, a group that can take you to a whole other place without leaving the car. Get lost in the tinkle of ivory over background chants and low purring flutes or soft cha-cha congas on Sunset and Summer Nights...


Expansions rhythmic percussions and electric keyboard interludes rock me at any age and I swoon to the tune My Love...piano solo then a delicious voice folds in...“your eyes are like the stars at night, your voice is so sublime, my dreams are of you…my love, my love, my love…your love is so divine.” As is this last cut on…


That naked scar beneath my dashboard is just begging me to patch it up by plugging in the sound system before someone has to patch me up! And so I will…

Happy listening, happy fireworks! Stay sane and cool and cosmic and…

keep your peepers open!®

peace…

1 comment:

  1. like lonnie liston smiths QUIET MOMENTS had almost forgotten about his music. thanks for reeling in the recall

    ReplyDelete