keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

deliriously daffy

From about the age of three until my grandparents moved when I was maybe ten, I was the keeper of the daffodil garden at their home in NE Washington, DC. I was enamored with the bright yellow flowers that miraculously returned every spring with just a few turns of my trowel. At three, I had not yet grasped the concept of an annual so thinking back, it indeed seemed like a miracle that flowers happily popped up all over the grounds not just in my backyard but everywhere! Daffodils look like they are having a party, appear to me as if they are in a state of constant laughter fluttering in the breeze above the pansies whose little happy faces seem to wink at passers-by 


while the tulips hover elegantly about maintaining a rather dignified yet still approachable disposition.



The daffodils of my youth were like bright sunshine, yellow on golden yellow…


so I was delirious with happiness to discover so many variations as I grew up…


 


 
 


 

and even as they begin to wilt, they still are lovely…


most of them have faded away
as April turns into May
sprinkled about here and there
some remain without a care
and even when their time is done
rest assured, they’ll be back for fun!

so…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment