keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

holiday inspiration

We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want. – Lao Tzu
I remember the first time I saw a ginger jar, its graceful opening leading to a voluptuous bottom; the desire to caress the fullness of round called for me to pick it up, hold it between my palms and eventually have it for my own. I really cherished that piece because at the time I was an adolescent, money had to be earned so I was pleased that the store allowed me to pay over time (they did not have layaway, so they entrusted me with a responsibility that I lived up to, something I never forgot) and that I had enough saved enough to get started. That jar began a love of Chinese and Japanese art, china and porcelain, the jars in their various shapes, sizes and designs, some with tops, that has lasted to this day. Most of the collection I built adorned my first apartment but is now packed away as my current home is eclectic, no one cultural influence taking center stage. Ginger jars, vases, bowls and pots made of any material dot my surroundings, the emptiness of each of them hold emotions, stories, memories and wishes that keep spirit alive around whatever is my abode.

While enjoying the holiday, I happened upon a piece that sent me back to that time in my life when my entire apartment had a feeling of the Orient. Seeing it inspired what I’m writing right now; I think I need to do some exploring in those boxes sitting in the closet and while I do…
keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment