keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, February 15, 2015

the list

Though I don’t always write down what I’m grateful for each day, each day I am grateful for something even if it’s the basics -- food, water, shelter, clothing, family, friendship.

I often hear and have also experienced that it’s not always easy to list five new things that evoke feelings of
gratitude on a daily basis so I’ve actually expanded my list to include what makes me happy or things that make me smile. Sometimes all three are one in the same however I find that I’m able to pinpoint joy or something that turns the corners of my mouth towards heaven very quickly when I can’t think of different things to express gratefulness for. Like yesterday…I felt a strong desire to listen to Billie Holiday and when I dressed to go out was compelled to adorn my wrist with two charm bracelets, both with hearts on them. Very ordinary actions at first blush until I add that it was Valentine’s Day, a day that reminds me of my grandparents. I first heard Billie in their home; she became part of the soundtrack of my life her voice so “fine and mellow”. My grandparents also hosted a rousing evening of poker with their friends once or twice a month. Amongst those who attended was Aunt Alisha, a woman who always wore a charm bracelet that created a lovely sound each time she moved her arm; the music of mine as they jangled together was just as charming as I remember hers to be (I made sure to shake my wrist often!).

Both Billie and the bracelets carried me back and brought me forward to happy moments that made me smile. And come to think of it, I was and am grateful. So make your own list of whatever it is you wish to keep track of and as you do…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment