keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

love bugs

Me and magnolia trees have a herstory. When I see them anywhere, especially if their flowers are huge, bursting with fragrance and velvety softness, I just have to take pictures. So imagine my surprise to find fireflies in the folds of lush petals coupling shamelessly in the midst of other bugs moving about as I was editing my photos. Even more surprising was a human interest story on the news about a place where hundreds of people gather to witness lightening bugs mating in the evening, the females flashing bright signals once they have finished.

I love when things come together and I’m not talking about the love bugs. While capturing the blooms, I was fascinated by the many insects all over the magnolia flowers not knowing why there seemed to be more than a few of them; seeing the story so soon after let me know that it is mating season for the little insects that I caught in a jar when I was a kid, that when I was a child I would have never understood that when one finds love, a light lights up inside that, like these tiny creatures, then radiates out from every pore of our bodies. Without that, perhaps it’s just like and honestly, we all deserve to glow with a feeling that makes us feel like we’re about to take flight. I know how that feels, so though I innocently intruded on bugs in love, I’m glad they were there to remind me…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment