keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, June 7, 2015

printing moments


I spent several hours outdoors yesterday. It felt quite marvelous outside in the sunshine, a nice breeze coming by just when I needed it to cool the beads of sweat forming on my brow. Butterflies, bees, bugs, blooms and the beeping sound of a battery dying in my camera! How had I left the house without a spare? As it took its last shot, I flashed back to a trip to Santa Fe taken over 7 years ago. Prior to leaving, I had checked the camera. The battery was fine, film was loaded but when I took it out to capture some mountains in the distance, nothing happened. A disappointing pit formed in my stomach knowing that I would not be able to record being in a place where I had a spiritual awakening. Back home from New Mexico, I had to tell about rather than show evidence of my trip and it was then that I began to grasp the concept of being in the moment; not having the ability to take photos had made me LIVE the land, each experience rather than record them. To this day, I can recount that journey in great detail by just closing my eyes.

Yesterday, I found a bench to sit on. The trees were singing a rustling sway against a gorgeous blue sky filled with moving white billowy clouds as I remembered the nest of baby robins, their tiny yellow beaks stretched wide as their mother fed them. There was that small brown butterfly with hints of orange and a white circle on its fluttering wings flitting from one fuchsia flower to another. In a sunny corner of the pond, pink lotus blossoms rose above bright green pads, stretching up to greet the warmth as a cascading water feature splashed a few feet behind me. Though I was with company, I was in my own world for a few minutes as I printed the moments in my head for future visits.

Before my camera took its moment, I did take some photographs...









... however, it will be the pictures in my mind that remain most vivid.

Sometimes it’s best to just be, so be still and…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment