keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

six point five

Look on every exit as being an
entrance to somewhere else. - Tom Stoppard

I came across this during my morning reading a month or so ago and, like part of the last name of the person who wrote it, I stopped. Was this just another way of saying when one door/window closes another opens? I pondered for a while, jotted it down to come back to and now as 2015 is about to end, I find myself back to.

Somewhere in between the twelve strokes at midnight that separate one year from the next is the end of one and the beginning of another. We step through some universal portal that takes the world, time zone by time zone, into the New Year, fireworks and lots of kissing to confirm the subtle movement. But the celebration of this shift is far from banal. There is much ado when we ring in a new year from entire broadcasts of partying to countless reminders nagging us about resolutions to end of the year sale emails in our in boxes to gatherings of all sorts to the mood swing that hits once the holidays are over and the bills come due. While what I’m thinking is a valid stream of thought as I revisit the quote, what is becoming clear in my mind has nothing to do with 2016 rolling in or even windows and doors. Rather it is an affirmation, a reminder, a message of support not at all linked to the 6.5 pause between strokes at the midnight hour so...

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment