keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, January 24, 2016

and then...

...there was snow and lots of it! I have to admit, DC has been spared from the wrath Mother Nature can dole out when it comes to weather; we haven't seen snow like this since 2010, so the way I see it, it was our turn for a bit of chaos...

The one thing I can't stand when we have any kind of severe weather is the how the local stations hijack TV for non-stop hours replacing regular programming with endless coverage of each inch of snow as it falls. Yesterday, I wanted to call in and say, hey, we can look out our windows and see for ourselves and for Pete's sake, the city is shut down, so can you just shut...well let me not be rude and rather, commend them for working long hours to keep us updated. I’m just a kid at heart and as those news and weather folks recited the course and impact of the storm, I was busy anticipating the moment I could get out there in it. In 2010, I had to force the downstairs door open against a deep drift; it was no different yesterday and when my feet, all booted up in my rubbers, stepped out the door, the first thing I felt was not the flakes hitting the uncovered part of my face but the instantaneous cold hitting my toes! I quietly shrieked it was that biting though not enough to keep me from kicking and sweeping a path down the stairs into knee high snow. I trudged through as best as I could exhilaration (and cold) turning my cheeks bright pink. My car was blanketed, I could barely get to it but I did and cleaned off the first 13 plus inches.




Back inside I shed wet garments, found my fleece-lined slippers and was making a cup of hot green tea when hit with a flashback from childhood -- hot cocoa after a romp in the snow, time sledding or helping to shovel the driveway -- well tea it was to be though I had everything to make hot chocolate. I always love when it snows, hate the work waiting in the aftermath, and truly dislike the ugliness of it all when the snow gets dirty. Snow brings on a desire to get in the kitchen, make comfort foods, something I know so many others enjoy. In years past I would stir up a batch of chili or a pot of soup however, I had no desire to do either this go round so when I fortunate enough to fly through a packed grocery store in just 10 minutes the day before the storm, apples, avocados, my favorite rice crackers, croissants and Jiffy Pop (part of that flashback!) were all that I purchased since I already had essentials at home. As the storm began on Friday, I
whipped up a big container of avocado chocolate pudding; Saturday morning I baked apples, the cinnamon and nutmeg filling every room with delicious warmth. I sipped tea smiling at the many changes that time brings as we move through life, the blizzard outside doing its thing (and then I tuned into WHUR, my alma mater's radio station and the party was on...Rick James, Parliament, Sly & the Family Stone, Ohio Players, Whispers, Marvin Gaye....had to pull out and play my own CD's when the oldies segment ended at noon...so much for popcorn, movies and the couch, maybe Sunday I thought as my feet remembered the steps to dances from back in the day...I got my groove on until almost dark when thankfully coverage of the storm gave way to figure skating followed by a long nap on the couch).


I have awakened at 1:35AM and the view out my window is a white powdered stillness that is comforting; it’s all over. As soon as the sun comes up, I will head out again to get my fill of the thrill and beauty of the snow before the reality of the clean-up hits so...

keep your peepers open!®



No comments:

Post a Comment