keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, July 1, 2018

girl interrupted

What is it they say about the best laid plans?

I suffered a disappointment this past week when a personal full month challenge was brought to a complete halt doing the exact thing that the challenge was about. At the beginning of the month, I set a plan to walk at least 10,000 steps in one walk at least 5 days each full week of June; I told no one, just laced up and headed out each morning around 5:30 even when it rained. I was so proud of myself, working my way up to an average of 12,000 - 13,000 on these mornings, clocking 6 miles door to door on many. 

When I woke up on Tuesday, I wasn’t in the mood to walk however, I knew I was going to miss getting out the following day due to early morning appointments, so I sprang up a little late and decided to walk a new route as inspiration to keep the feet moving. Three of my five days each week, I had been walking up and down one side of Capitol Hill. On Tuesday, I made a last minute decision to come down the other side, was unable to slow my momentum on the unfamiliar decline, lurched forward every so slightly, was unable to correct, my knee twisted, and I shouted! I stopped, massaged and rather than head in, I walked for about 45 more minutes.  A few hours later, I did think it best to drive to teach a meditation session, but rather than park under the building, I found a spot on the street several blocks and a hill away.

On Wednesday morning, I could not put any weight on my leg. I was crushed…finishing my month long challenge was finished and for a moment, I felt like I was going to burst into tears. I maneuvered myself to the closet where I had buried the cane I used when my hip was replaced, hobbled around to get everything I needed from my work table so I could work from bed, got back in, and began rescheduling and cancelling appointments. Since I was to be confined, I would get lots done I thought, which brings me right back to the best laid plans -- I slept most of the day.

There had to be a lesson or something in all of this and as I woke from a doze, I thanked my body for all those mornings I walked. I remembered that some days my end of the day total topped 17 or 18,000 steps, and gave myself credit for that and for increasing my total weekly step count by at least 10,000 steps from the week prior each week that I walked. I was grateful that I didn’t do more damage to my knee or worse, fall flat on my face out there by myself. Perhaps I needed to revert back to using my morning walks as my time to just be with myself and nature rather than a competition. Unless I had my camera, I had been moving without connecting with my surroundings, though I had always taken note of how glorious it felt when the weather was cool or there was a breeze when the temperature was warmer. 

I know that all the different routes I mapped out these past few weeks will allow 10,000 steps or more to be had, so I will slow it down just a tad, smell the roses, gardenias, and magnolias a little longer AND bring the girl home when the body says ENOUGH so maybe I'll see you out there if you…

keep your peepers open!®


#sunday #sacredsunday #wearewomenwriting #womenwriting #blogpost #blogging #blogger #blogalicious #inthemoment #inspiration #mindfulness #motivation #reflection #flowers #photographer #photography #outdoorphotograhy #keepyourpeepersopen #peepthis #girlinterrupted

No comments:

Post a Comment