keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

backyard giving

I can’t believe I am up roaming around like it’s 3:50 in the PM…it’s AM for pity’s sake (another grandma-ism). My body does not grasp the concept of a cat nap preferring instead a dream lover snooze. This past week I have awakened on the couch more times than I care to admit all because I stretched out and closed my eyes for just a minute that turned into hours. And that is why I am up now. After a very long jam-packed day, my body tapped me on the shoulder and requested a quickie. I wasn’t all that tired, knew I would be up in a few moments to return some phone calls so I obliged. When I woke up an hour ago all comfy cozy in my clothes on the couch once again I just had to chuckle. Refreshed and ready to go, I piddled around before relocating to the south wing, i.e., my bedroom, to turn on my Dell and a repeat of In Wine Country, a show with segments devoted to different creative things going on in areas of the country that produce wine. Now that I have the touch, the feel of crisp cool cotton sheets on my skin and see that I will digress easily, let me get on with the blog.

The weather has been unseasonable warm for November. It’s hard to fathom that turkey day is upon us once again, where does the time go? Thanksgiving marks a time for giving for me because I am given my bonus. While I am highly in favor of supporting causes that bring help to those abroad, have done so in the past and sometimes still do, I chose to donate the bulk of money and me to organizations in my own backyard. I have my annual favorites, seem to find a new one each year; most are not-for-profits that service the underserved in a creative way. For example, one uses cooking to teach youth life skills. Not only have I written a check but have spent time in the class and kitchen with a group of teens that nourished my soul and spirit more than the oatmeal cookies we baked. A woman from a house that brings the healing arts to children affected or infected with HIV/AIDS was in my office the other day. I realized it was the same place where I taught a writing and spoken word class a few years back. Hadn’t they gone out of business? Apparently not due to her decision to step away from the for-profit world to bring a guiding hand to a center that is so necessary; I handed her a check.

The season of giving is upon us. Don’t have dough, kneed some if you know how at the soup kitchen. Is cash not convenient? Go caroling at the homeless shelter (nobody will care if you can’t carry a tune). Don’t let the buck stop here if you don’t have dollars to donate. Give of yourself -- volunteer. It’s not hard to find someone, someplace right in your own backyard if you...

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment