keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

fit or miss gifts

Gift giving and getting can be…well I don’t want to sound negative. Trust me, I am no Scroogette. I love to get and give presents. However, the higher I climb on the chronological ladder, the less I need, want or require that can be bought in a store or online. Almost all of the adults of a certain age that I know have homes full of accepted and purchased acquisitions; some of the former are tucked away in closets still in the boxes in which they were received. Since I make annual financial contributions to several organizations anyway, I decided to give in the name of my friends rather than buy them another thing. I used to send my parents and siblings what I thought was a beautiful wreath for their respective front doors until one of them complained (you know who you are). I now bake cookies from scratch for my Dad, my Mother enjoys receiving whatever art I am creating at the moment. No more sibling gifts, just their children.

My three nieces that belong to my sister born after me get so much at Christmas that I opted to send them an Edible Arrangement the weekend before Christmas day; this juicy festive gift continues to be a hit after four years (and girls I did note that next year I will remember to have them dip more pineapple and strawberries in chocolate!) This year I started the same ritual with my youngest niece; my sis-in-law said the princess fruit bouquet scored a thumb up. My nephew is a graduate student. His gift is usually money for the holiday and an addition to the original art, African mask, and photography book collection I started for him when he turned 13. I switched the order of his gifts this year for some reason but will go back to our routine in 2010. Honestly I prefer to focus energy and effort on birthday presents for everyone I buy gifts for because they can’t get lost amongst a sea of wrapped packages under the tree and don’t end up on the island of misfit stuff in the back of that closet I mentioned, well not always. And though I do believe it is the thought that counts thoughtless gifts usually end up there too so how about trying something novel next year. Get ready…..drum roll please….ask people what they want! Even if you can’t fulfill their wish, I bet they will be pleased that your inquiring mind wanted to know.

On the eve of the 25th, one of Santa’s elves delivered a small red bag with holiday tissue paper sprouting from the top. It was from a friend who has been quite ill for the past few months, receiving this present signaled that my friend is on the mend. Everything I was given this year was most fitting however her gift turned out to be the one that made my day the merriest and brightest. Hallelujah for holiday miracles every one, revealed when you…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment