keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

from the middle

In my family, there was always a discussion about the middle roll when my mother or grandmother made a batch. I didn’t think anyone else cared about such things until I saw a commercial with a mom and kids baking brownies and talking about the one from the middle. I guess lots of people have a preference for what part of a pan of baked goods they like to eat. I got to pondering this when I saw the advertisement and had to chuckle remembering how crazy my family got when it came to the middle roll.

I am a middle child who happens to prefer the middle roll. The crusty top is just enough to compliment all that soft squishy hot yumminess topped with butter! Corners and sides just have too much crunch which does not appeal to me when it comes to this little piece of bread. However, loaves of bread are another story altogether. The heel of a fresh batch of sourdough is the perfect companion to a hearty bowl of something on a cold day. I don’t normally dip but should I decide to, the middle slices just can’t hold up to sopping up the last drops of soup or stew. When it comes to cornbread a crunchy corner will do me just fine. I’m none too happy if I order it out and it has been made in a round pan. And before we turn the corner, I must be the first to crack into macaroni and cheese right at that 90 degree section of the pan. Those brittle bits of pasta and browned cheese are too too delectable. Traveling to the sweet, a chewy brownie from the middle surpasses any square with crusty sides for me – gooey fudge like chocolate with pecans is just the best!

I can’t remember how we resolved who got what roll, brownie or piece of gingerbread each time they were made. These friendly battles over food made us laugh…well most of the time. I do recall some pouting that never really lasted too long. In the end, I ended up with all of the long rectangular pans that held so many mixtures that baked into nothing but goodness. I covet them along with the pots, frying and sauce pans, muffin tins, mixing bowls, measuring devices and cooking utensils that I inherited. For some reason, I am missing the cake pans. A big round homemade lemon or devils food cake with freshly creamed butter icing, no frills was an equalizer. There was always the middle and sides but no end thus no discussion. I’m not a big cake person which may be why I don’t have the pans. I do have a penchant for cupcakes though and during the holidays, I have been known to order chocolate rum cakes. Something about these bundt cakes reminds me of me, my true friends and my friendships with them…sweet yet spicy, sticky spots that dissolve so quickly, light not heavy, delightful, happy, naughty, intoxicating, delicious, can’t get enough of…never ending.

food and friends and family and silly fun and…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment