keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

main squeeze

In a couple of weeks, my new workshop on the use of vessels in the healing process is going to debut. The main concepts for the session were complete in my head, making sure I could squeeze a 360 degree vision into 180 minutes had yet to gel. I tend to work backwards when it comes to events and some projects. I can describe in great detail exactly what the end result should be, experience jubilation long before I’m there. The route to that place, well that’s when I have to slow down, put it in reverse and walk myself through the process which at times involves others who know better than I what needs to happen. During one of those assessments that’s meant to tell you what you’re good at, I was told that I am the bread on a sandwich…great with concept and ideas on the top, very clear when it comes to evaluation on the bottom. As for the ingredients and condiments that go in between, it was best for me to leave implementation to those who have just the right stuff to make the whole thing come together so it doesn’t topple and all are satisfied. That said, development and execution of my workshops rests with moi and only moi making me the chief cook AND bottle washer.

Once I decided what materials I wanted to work with it dawned on me that I had not used paper pulp and polymer clay in awhile. Plus, my prior experience with both never required that I be able to teach someone else how to make anything with either or know just how much time they needed to dry. I would have to sculpt prototypes and record the steps necessary to complete a raw paper bowl and pinch pot. True to form, my out of order sequence of doing things prevailed as I started squishing the mixture before I tore the plastic wrap whose box ended up covered in grayish goop. Forgot that I needed my rolling pin for art projects, had no idea where it was stored, was forced to grab the one I bake with which of course was in with my other cooking utensils; many of them needed a cycle in the dishwasher to remove the gunk I got all over them. Wasabi colored Sculpey is easy to manipulate, is lots of fun, leaves behind stains. The white polish on my nails turned bright green; my hands looked like I could audition to be a female Grinch as I popped the tiny pots into the oven for “no more than 30 minutes.” I laughed and laughed at myself, my crazy methodology. Glancing at my notes hours later, bits of chartreuse clay and dried pulp dotted the paper reminding me of the well worth it mess I had made earlier -- the entire workshop had worked itself out. I was comfortable knowing that all by lonesome I had filled in all the necessary ingredients to make my creation stand and deliver. 

I must admit that my penchant for doing things in reverse used to leave me completely frazzled. However, during a morning meditation many years ago, I opened to a reading that put a name to this behavior; the results of that assessment I mentioned came as no surprise to me. Envisionation, being able to fully and clearly see the end result, is a gift I totally embrace. What I had to gain comfort with was the process it takes to get there, have always welcomed many cooks into my kitchen which reminds me, it's time to start dinner so…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment