keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

tie me up

I much prefer a shawl to a coat; there is something about flinging loose fabric around my shoulders that feels more feminine than pulling on a constructed garment. Decoration for the décolletage or room décor, scarves plain or intricate in design add a bit of spice that makes the palette take note.

I’ve been on the prowl for a black wrap for the spring and fall. Not necessarily a wrap per se because I’ve been known to rock an over-sized scarf on any given outing and not necessarily all black because so often, regardless of the season, I am draped in it; I do indeed need a blush of color to accent my look. When I walk the streets of DC I know I am not in New York anymore. My recent visit reminded me that BLACK, a splash or head to toe, is de rigueur in the great fashion capitol to the north no matter the season so I figured it would be easy to satisfy my desire for something ebony to swathe myself in. No such luck until later when my friend arrived with a gift bag filled with chocolate and two scarves…turquoise swirls with black and white etching around the edge, perfecto!

Just before I scooted up to NYC, an artist presented me with a tie-dye scarf from brightly twisted, her brothers company. Receiving it brought to mind how enamored I am with the movie and music of Woodstock circa 1969. I remember afternoons of securing knotted cotton with string and rubbers bands, immersing all or part of a T-shirt in metal wash tubs or plastic buckets filled with tinted water, withdrawing discolored hands that smelled a little bit funny as we made our own creations to the sounds of Janis Joplin and other rockers. So I began to wonder...what’s up with the scarves all of the sudden? I do know that I am traveling to Egypt later this year and will need these lovely woven and spun fabrics for both protection and custom; I will certainly pack the ones I just received to take on my journey and without a doubt return to the States with a few more to wear and hang. (I have longed to decorate a room with flowing non-traditional curtains since I bought a painted silk elongated scarf from one of my favorite boutiques on Broadway; it was one of the last things I bought in New York before I moved to DC, the store has since closed. Maybe that vision will no longer be a mirage after my trip abroad.)

For centuries, scarves made from all sorts of fabrics have been worn by both men and women in various cultures around the world, still are. Practical, tradition or just for style, the pattern and colors of some can evoke fear or symbolize peace depending on how you view them. I chuckled when I did a search and stumbled on a site that went into scarf etiquette in great detail. The writer suggested that “the diminutive people…the short, fat with large busted women…and long necked men” among other descriptive should watch it when deciding on which one to wear…are you kiddin’ me? And hello whoever you are, it’s “Burberry” NOT “Buberry”…I had to move on. A well designed, clever site with scarves coveted by fashion divas everywhere can be found by clicking on Hermes. I spent quite some time perusing before I realized I had wrapped my own pretty little neck in a writers noose. So let me wrap this all up in a neat knot if I can.

A little thing, small as a scarf can have great meaning. An unexpected gift was the realization of a desire that somehow went into the universe to be filled for me not by me; a tangible present given as a kind gesture aroused several senses, brought me back to a pleasant memory; one awaiting its place as a piece of art is a reminder that the economy has snatched up places I can no longer go; others arouse caution and prejudice that I hope I don’t embrace as I venture to places I have yet to go. Knowing me as I do my mind is and please…

keep your peepers open!

No comments:

Post a Comment