keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

loopy

Last Wednesday morning, I went out and aimlessly began to walk. Usually I take a very angular route around some section of The Mall which takes me past monuments, museums and gardens; I found myself treading over circular paths that only on occasion do I head for. I wondered if my soul and spirit had led me to the circles for contemplative purposes or to reflect back to me how I had been managing certain areas of my life.

I first began practicing meditation when I lived in Croton-on-Hudson, NY a five-square mile village situated at the crossing of the Croton and Hudson Rivers. A scenic 40 minute drive north from Manhattan, it was so easy for me to either chant my way to or lie practically motionless until I reached a tranquil state during the time I lived in this charming serene place. When I moved down to the Upper West Side the constant chatter of the City interrupted my meditative flow until finally there was no flow. This was very disconcerting for me as my practice kept me grounded and centered. Eventually I began to journal, took yoga and both helped, but I missed meditating.

Once I moved to DC, I thought I would regain my ability to sit in contemplation. After many frustrating attempts that ended with not a moment of serenity I came across an article on the art of walking meditation, located a center close by and attended a session. Hallelujah! Walking meditation was the perfect solution for a person like me who could no longer sit still for a long period. Not only did I receive mental and spiritual stimulation but my body also benefited from the physical movement. I learned the practice in a cozy room with several other devotees but later noticed myself in meditative state on occasion while walking outdoors (and it wasn’t deliberate!). Another way to walk and meditate is to visit a labyrinth which “combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path.” Much different from a maze, it “has only one path, the way in is the way out” and is a right brain activity a fact that appeals to the creative being in me.

Last Wednesday morning, there was no labyrinth, only circular 
sidewalks under the open sky and trees. Though my first steps were indeed quite aimless, by the time I looped the third circle I understood it was time for me to step off the merry-go-round that had been my life for almost nine months which in turn would release me from the situations and people I had allowed to operate the ride. Walking around and around not only showed me how I was living but brought much needed clarity. Stillness in motion, my feet guided me straight home.
 

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment