keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

night light

When the moon is full, I can close my eyes and be transported back to South Beach in Martha’s Vineyard many moons ago. The sand was cool, the sky pitch black which only served to make the huge cream moon surrounded by thousands and thousands of twinkling stars pop! Full moons have a way of altering my mood, mellowing my personality, reminding me of pleasant moments. Each time one appears in my line of sight, I take a few minutes to go through a very personal (and gleeful!) ritual to honor its presence.

I have created goddesses inspired by the fullest of moons, hum the tunes of countless melodies about it (Blue Moon, Moon River, Harvest Moon, Shine on Harvest Moon, Moondance, Fly Me to the Moon, Moonlight in Vermont and for the life of me I can’t remember the name of the one that has the meaningful phrase, “I’ll be looking at the moon and I’ll be seeing you.”) I can’t think of any songs specifically about the moon being full however, it’s obvious that many a lyricist has been prompted to speak poetically about it, many with a slight melancholy in the words and music…I wonder if their hearts were sad. I know mine rarely is because when the moon is full, my memories surrounding its roundness make me smile.

There is something joyous about the light of night that rises into the nighttime sky. Perhaps it’s because anyone anywhere in the world can look up, share its glow and remember.

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment