keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

altered states

While standing in line to pay for an iced caramel decaf w/soy, I noticed a simple green linen shift dress that looked cool, crisp and comfy. I complimented the woman wearing it; she responded with a shocked look and a little laugh before admitting that she found it in the back of her closet…she had forgotten she even owned it. “You got something new for free!” I exclaimed. We both chuckled then launched into a conversation about all the things never lost just not remembered in our closets and drawers and how many new looks we could create if we found them again.

My grandmother was famous for making alterations to clothing both new and old. Cutting the sleeves on a blouse or unnecessary straps (in her opinion) on shoes happened without a second thought regardless of when the item was purchased. I inherited that desire to alter things that don’t quite suit me though I am much guiltier of doing it to jewelry than clothing. Several times a year, I go into my stash, nine times out of ten, I pull out my tools and redesign earrings and necklaces creating fresh new pieces to wear. I’m also guilty of transforming newly acquired adornments; take the pair of earrings in the picture. I was immediately attracted to the big dangling copper circles that reflected sun onto my face while strolling through the flea market. The vendor allowed me to try them on, they looked fab, price was great, and with me they came. Whenever I buy jewels, I put them on as soon as I get home if I’m not already wearing them; the triangle piece that originally hung from the bottom of these earrings stabbed me in the neck as the flirted about my neck. Ouch! What to do…I took them from between the copper circle, put a gold bead in their place, looped them onto the ear wire followed by a old textured brass bead and low and behold, a more interesting pair of earrings that spared my neck from being nicked to death.

This past weekend, I figured out a way to combine two stand-alone pieces that I had been admiring for many months but wouldn't buy. I love the antique look of the beaded necklace in the photo but it seemed unfinished because of the one bead that fell between the breastbone that seemed to beg for something more. I like crosses, don’t particularly care for pendants that slip onto a choker length neck wire but the cross had crossed my mind repeatedly since I first saw it at Boveda. On Saturday as I sat chatting with my friend who is the owner of the store, I glanced across the room, saw the necklace and suddenly the two pieces made sense. They just needed to be together…and so it goes.
 
What are you doing today? Clean out a closet, comb through the drawers, raid your jewelry box, get out some scissors, yield a pair of jewelry pliers and alter the status quo…bet you too will get something new for free if you just…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment