keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, April 15, 2012

tree love

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.
                                      - Joyce Kilmer

I remember singing that poem as a young girl in grammar school; like a vine, those words wound themselves around my DNA as I indeed feel kindred to and captivated by trees, particularly with the texture and variation in color of exposed bark…


...something about it makes me think of skin, the sexy curvature of the one in the above photo was so sensual to the touch.

And how their trunks extend to branches that intertwine like posing dancers…


Trees form the universal tribe of Mother Nature, each species a people with their own unique personality, scent, movement, appearance and embellishments. Whenever I travel, I never fail to take pictures of ones that catch my eye and during a stay in Florida several years back, composed a free write ode to something that adorns them in different parts of the country.

moss
tina s. lassiter © 2005


soft and lazily draping itself in this dense moisture like it needs a nap or maybe, it is napping…like a tangled mass of nappy hair it grows chaotic, every whicha way, no rhyme nor reason narry a care for how it looks as it knows it is perfectly jazzy, tres chic just the way it is “who cares, I’m free to be me” it seems to say to the lusciously vivid green leaves that adorn its tresses, dressing up the locks woven together like an air loom falling high and low it sweeps downward to caress those who may happen by and notice these spindly gray fingers of nature that beckon, “hey baby, come sit under my web of intertwined delight rest in my shade for just a little while" as you grow a bit sleepy hypnotized by my exotic sway from side to side as a cool breeze passes through and you just sigh…succumb.

Not a poem per se, but oh so poetic.

Love a tree and as you do…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment