keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

now nia


When I left DC on the last days of September, summer was still lurking about as fall fell in. A week later, it’s October, I'm back and Autumn is apparent. Afternoon hues are lazy as bees pollinate; huge bins of multi textured and shaped gourds, squash and pumpkins line the marketplace. The temperature of the air rests at caressing limbo, that perfect place of cool warmth that made me stand in appreciative meditation taking it all in before, much to my chagrin, I went inside to unpack my suitcase and straighten up my abode. To make the task more palatable, I decided to push the mellow body movement button, popped in CD’s with sultry grooves and foreign singing tongues and got to work. Somewhere during hour 2, Bebela by Les Nubians (CD - Princesses Nubiennes) began and my hips followed. I hit repeat a couple of times as I practiced a form of movement learned from a lively spirit who was in my group while in San Antonio.

Nia is a sensory-based movement practice that draws from martial arts, dance arts and healing arts. It empowers people of all shapes and sizes by connecting the body, mind, emotions and spirit. Nia draws from Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, jazz dance, modern dance, Duncan dance, yoga, Alexander Technique and Teachings of Moshe Feldenkrais. Every class offers a unique combination of 52 moves that correspond with the main areas of the body: the base, the core and the upper extremities. http://www.nianow.com/


My hands fluttered sensually, my arms opened and closed like wings as I lost myself in the music and let my mind, body, soul and spirit travel to places un and known; when I returned I was exhilarated, my task more manageable. It was seriously some good stuff so next Sunday, I’ll be taking a class!

Nia is for both women and men, so check it out and…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment