keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

imagine this

On my recent trip to San Antonio, I found myself most immersed in the presentation on guided imagery. The subject was not new to me, in fact my first experience using it as a meditation practice happened over 20 years ago when someone gave me a tape by Shakti Gawain; I still have my Creative Visualization cassette and now a CD. I also use guided imagery when I facilitate any workshop as a means to quiet participants so they are fully present during the time we will spend together. But back to the presentation…

The PowerPoint on the screen was visually appealing, filled with images that matched the text and the voice speaking. I thought about the parallels between what I was witnessing and my blog and what surfaced for me as I listened intently with both ears and eyes was my photographs are a beautiful tool for taking a journey of the mind. I don’t know that I’ve ever sat quietly and recalled the textures, colors, smells of the flowers I feel so akin to without gazing at the actual images.


While away and when I returned home, I was reminded that the mind absorbs and retains subtle bits of information that, at least for me, manifest themselves later in visual form. In group, one person talked about religion, several of us made reference to the wings of birds, butterflies or angels during the week. Walking in the stillness of the golf course, grass thick with dew glistening from the light of the rising sun, I wanted to capture shadows created by rays peeking through branches and snapped several shots. It was only as I downloaded that I saw the cross in field…


Back home on my early morning meditation, dew liberally moistened the plants and flowers in front of the Botanic Gardens. I climbed up onto knee-level rock walls in order to stand over huge green leaves, step in between them. It was only after I edited that I saw wings stretched clearly across the frame, strong and tight and sure…


When I first began meditating, the image that came to mind was a place I envisioned that I still go to, though I’ve embellished the surroundings with bits and pieces of places that I’ve now actually visited. However, it is not lost on me that my original vision has come to life during my travels and while I won’t describe it, let me provide you with an image that I recently took that to my delight captures the essence.


It’s all right before you if you…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment