keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

back to forth

Renew thyself completely each day;
do it again, and again, and forever again.
    - Chinese inscription

On occasion, I revisit places I have been through pictures from my trips. Some in particular immediately take me back…

I stood before the door of the tomb at Abu Simbel, marveling at its enormity just about to cross the threshold when the guard urgently said with polite quiet excitement, “Miss, wait...turn around.” There across the lake sat a perfectly round orange in a cloudless sky sun so whisper still that it rendered me breathless, unable to move…

I walked out into the early morning light of Sorrento, the blue marble of the balcony cool on the soles of my bare feet. There across the sea was Mt. Vesuvius, rising majestic against a gorgeous sapphire sky with coral clouds, stopping me in mid-step to ponder the bold power of the beautiful volcano that created ghosts who whisper…



I positioned myself on the beach in Hollywood, morning after the storm waves crashing onto the shore, splashing up over my knees to dampen my hips and thighs. There across the ocean, the sun peeked over the clouds, slowly rose with a whisper that signaled the calm ahead as I stood rooted in the sand, marveling…


The similarity in the feeling of these photographs is hard for me to ignore -- being before a body of water soothes my mind, body, soul and spirit. I really can close my eyes and go back to experience the moment in the present then come forth to be fully in the now, renewed all over again.



Each time I see the pictures, a desire to see more of the world, capture people, places, and things begins to percolate; somewhere in my head, a globe is spinning so here's to travel in the happy new year and...

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment