keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

a simple side of popeye

Cartoons were an integral part of my growing up. Beenie & Cecil (someone recently mentioned this one which I remember loving though I’d forgotten it completely), Felix the Cat, Top Cat, The Flintstones & Jetsons, Betty Boop, Sylvester and Tweetie…I could go on so I’ll just pause. Saturday morning cartoon fests were a big deal. We were up early in slippers and PJ’s, popped in a Pop Tart, made our way to the family room and then tuned in to three hours of continuous fun. When 10:00AM arrived, that was that…no repeats, no save it for later, no computer or video versions, no watch them anytime 24/7. We just turned off the TV, got dressed, did our Saturday choirs then went out to play with our friends in the neighborhood. Seems like several lifetimes ago…

One of the cartoons from very early on in my childhood was Popeye the Sailor Man, an after-school show if my recollection serves me correctly. I hated spinach watching with some level of child-like curiosity as to why this food could make him strong though I was always delighted when Popeye ate it gathering the strength needed to whip Brutus. What I didn’t understand was the nutritional element of this leafy green; my mother cooked it until it was mushy so I didn’t learn to like spinach until very late in life and prefer it raw unless sautéed with garlic. I do seriously like a spinach sandwich and the following salad that I recently put together for some reason reminds me of one sans the bread. I affectionately call it the Popeye & Olive Oil Salad.

Vidalia onion
Raw spinach
Red ripe tomato cut into small chunks
Crumbled feta cheese
Light olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Slice and caramelize onion in light olive oil; drain but don't let cool completely (s/b warm not hot, don't let all of the oil drain away). Put spinach in large bowl; add warm onions, salt and pepper. Toss lightly until spinach picks up oil and is slightly wilted. Add tomato and feta cheese, toss, put on a pretty plate or in your favorite bowl and bon appétit!

As a side or a meal, it’s simple food, easy to make, and simply yummy. Toss it up this summer and...

keep your peepers open!®

PS - Popeye & Olive Oil can also meet Olivia if you add bacon (okay I'd probably use turkey bacon but Olivia is cuter than Tom :))

PPS - Looking at Popeye taught me to despise bullies and made me very much a defender of those who are bullied, something I proudly carry with me to this day. It’s nice to realize that early on I was getting lessons in nutrition and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment