keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

cleaning bites

I have slowly but surely been cleaning out the closets and other cluttered spaces in my home…no planned day to get started, just when I happen to be in the closet and the mood hits, I do it. This way, I finish or get to a certain stop point, put everything in a bag, take it to the neighborhood bin where you can drop clothes and feel like I’ve accomplished something because there was no pressure about keeping a date with the to-do list. So far, I have taken three huge bags of clothes and shoes out of my home.

I don’t know what happened. Somehow my quest to keep clothing to a minimum and the decision I made to establish a basic uniform of black pants and white shirts (accented with fabulous accoutrements) when I moved to DC over 12 years ago went astray over the years. The amount of black pants neatly hung one after the other, some now too big and too long, was just ridiculous. At first, I thought I’d take them to be altered; fortunately my hands just kept pulling them out and dropping them into the pile. I also went into my hamper where I unknowingly had accumulated a number of clothes I no longer wear. Pulled out stuff, washed everything and into the bag went they! I have done some other cleaning around the house, little things that needed my attention ages ago…feels so much better, both my space and me. In fact, I found a cashmere coral throw hidden for years in the linen closet, draped it over the bottom of my bed, which I
had covered in a newly purchased white duvet and pillow shams. Every time I climb in, I feel like I’m in the clouds plus, I make up my bed almost every day because I just love coming in to this…

I’m sharing this because I know how quickly Mr. Overwhelm jumps out from behind closed doors when it’s time for spring/fall or whenever you do it cleaning. Often times we get frustrated and leave it for later which sometimes means never. So how about taking it in small unexpected bites? The next time you pull out something that doesn’t fit or no longer speaks your name, listen closely. I bet there’s more in that drawer or closet mumbling, whispering, and trying to hold a space it no longer needs to occupy. Do yourself a favor and let whatever it is go!

I read an article that says we should throw out nine things everyday (including no longer useful paper clips), could be home and/or office and/or car and/or whatever. Try it and through the process…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment