keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

buika!

One of my good friends invited me to see Buika last week and I'm so glad she did! I've enjoyed so much music by this force who, as she took the stage in flowing white garb and bare feet, is so petite. It's hard to believe that so much power surges forth from such a small woman who giggled like a nervous school girl between songs as her appreciative audience applauded, shouted praise and demanded their favorites to be sung. I was thrilled when she began one of mine, Mi Nina Lola, and so dug that she picked up a camera to take photographs of her pianist and percussionist while they played their solos. She seemed to adore them as much if not more than I was charmed by her shyness. It was mesmerizing to watch her transform from girl to Black siren as she cradled the microphone leaning in to blow the roof off the sucka!

Her newest CD is good though I still favor some of her earlier albums only because I was not at all familiar with anything on those CD's when I first got them. Still, I purchased La Noche Mas Larga before departing the concert hall then headed home to relive the experience with my own private encore. Check her out live if you have the chance and...

keep your peepers open!®

1 comment:

  1. i will listen to some of the tunes on the latest album, The Biggest Night. she is an extraordinary artist but more than that an extra extraordinary performer. she uses a vocal arrow that goes straight to the heart of your soul. you captured the experience of listening to her live; very well. i could imagine her on stage as so goes from humble to the very certain songbird that she is

    ReplyDelete