keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

day break

One of the things I admire about the people who make up my team at work is their creative energy. Last week, each of us received a copy of the same page from a book along with a box of colored pencils. The directive was simple -- use words from that page to create a written piece and, if we were so moved, some art to go with it. I love a word challenge, dove right in. Maybe 30 minutes passed before all pencils rested and the sharing commenced. The first thing I noticed was how we each approached the task. I skimmed for words and phrases that jumped out, felt connected in energy and spirit; someone else zoned in on one word and the words that followed it throughout the text while another chose to read the entire narrative. Though seven distinctly different creations were plucked from that same page of words, I noted a connecting thread that linked the pieces, was pleased with the synergy that flows between us without uttering a word.

Now the art thing was a whole other matter; I struggled for a few minutes then let loose with abandon so whatever wanted to come forth could find its way to my paper. I was less impressed with my childish doodles than I was with...

electric jolt sensations
meticulously spiked in wild pink patterns
represented her journey.
images telling stories
evolving over time
realization that the butterfly is
free.

Breaking from the workday for creative expression is quite a refreshing break. Try it and...

keep your peepers open!®

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Sounds like you have an awesome team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tina,
    My friend Shauna sent me a link to your blog. Your shots are beautiful. You have a gift for travel photography. I noticed from your Morrocco trip that your birthday is the day before mine. What a coincidence. Maybe we have more in common than just photography? You can check out some of my photography at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29709499@N04/. Let me know what you think? richgreen1955@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete