keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

beauty exchange

During a recent exchange, I found myself reflecting on the following posed by the person I was conversing with via email, “If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what is it that makes us say beautiful?” My first thought was that only a day before, I had written the words "in the eye of the beholder" for an article about my collage art. I too had inferred that we each have our own idea of what beauty is; to me, true beauty rests somewhere in our soul where our own truths reside. Our constant challenge is holding tight to our opinions and feelings when it comes to people, clothes, art, everything as we face the many outside forces that could jade what we really think.

My thoughts then shifted to the quiet reaction that takes hold of me when I stand before a flower. I'm overcome with how lovely it is even when only a few petals remain and some have curling brown edges. Something stirs inside me, I find myself whispering, “beautiful”. This same feeling surges through me when I meet a genuine person with good spirit energy, beauty flowing from their place within touching my soul. Now I must admit that indeed I do react to the physical appearance of a person, to individuals who match a program in my head that reads beautiful. So yes, a gorgeous specimen of a man will turn my head every time. Thankfully, my barometer for real beauty rests in my soul and spirit bringing me back to reality when my mind goes ga-ga!


So as you ponder what is beautiful in your eyes…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment