keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 29, 2017

home

Last Sunday, I was still basking in the glow from all that was Howard University Homecoming. Though I moved back to DC 17 years ago, I had not been to the festivities for over 25 for various reasons, some that make sense, others that are totally ridiculous now that I think about it. There are no words to describe the warmth of every hug, kiss, greeting, smile from people I knew, just met or still don’t know except to say that I was amongst family and felt the love.

October 2017 has led me to other "homecomings" and as the month comes to a close, I find myself thinking about all that has occurred. It seems like October 3, a milestone birthday for me this year, was just yesterday. Upon that entrance to my next decade, a piece of me that I'd kept on the shelf for too many years jumped off, causing me to ask myself, “Where have you been?!”. The day before that, the ninth collage in a series I’m working on appeared and is now urging me to bring forth a tenth piece in this 10th month, I believe signaling the end of this group of images, two that personally hit home with their messages. Just yesterday during prayer and meditation, I felt a spirit pass through to tell me that I've arrived in a nesting space where enough is in place for me to fully flesh out and put into action a vision; my journals house the notes, my mind is the door through which those notes pass, my heart is the key to unlock everything. The lock turned. 
Speaking of doors and Howard, this month I visited the salon of a friend from my college days. Though we have not spoken in well over 30 years, I was warmly reminded that no time really passes when you’ve had a close friendship with someone even if time has passed. Hours later, that warmth was still hugging me; the minute I stepped foot into that salon I was home. Truly, there’s no place like it, so… 

keep your peepers open!®


#wearewomenwriting #blogher17 #womenwriting #blogpost #blogging #blogger #photographer #photography #selftaughtartist #keepyourpeepersopen #homecoming #HowardHomecoming #Uknow #noplacelikehome #billlawrencesalon

No comments:

Post a Comment