keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

light bright

I’ve never been keen on chandeliers dripping with crystals or any type of elaborate lighting fixture. I lean towards clean line softer illumination and cannot tolerate those bright overhead florescent bulbs prevalent in so many public spaces. Abominations that simply massacre color, I can count the number of times I have tried on and bought a tube of lipstick only to get outside and know instantly that it is so the wrong shade. Thankfully some stores will now let you correct your mistake; we love you Sephora for allowing us to bring our “misticks” back!

Earlier this year, I headed over to the Rufino Tamayo exhibit at the Meridian International Center here in Washington. I knew it wasn’t a traditional gallery space before I got there but was not prepared for the view at the top of a semi-circular driveway. Standing between the stone entrance walls with the gold address plaque, I was enthralled with the old mansion surrounded by lots of trees on quiet Crescent Place (and the street really is that shape which made the whole experience even more charming for me). I feel like I’ve stumbled on a gift from some unseen benefactor when I find peaceful escapes within the hustling bustle of a city, pinch myself even more when the dichotomy are just steps from one another. I skipped up the drive like Dorothy approaching Emerald City and once I set foot inside the doors, it was difficult to depart. I roamed from room to room, each almost devoid of furnishings, carefully absorbing the works of art in this new found oasis. On my third meander, I looked up and was enchanted by the ornate dangling chandeliers, circled through a fourth time to appreciate the ceiling art noticing the varied cuts of each crystal, the way light reflected in and through them. Having taken glass classes, I wondered how long it took to fire and form every piece of these hanging installations that more than likely went unnoticed in the presence of the collection installed on the walls. When I finally did tear myself away, I had a new appreciation for those decorative fixtures and though I still prefer more simplistic lights au naturale, I marvel at jewels above me, sparkling, twinkling, chatting with me…

The next day while piecing together a collage goddess, it dawned on me that I had been including pictures of lamps, lampshades, light fixtures and chandeliers in recent creations; my id was trying to tell me something. Perhaps its message was to continue bringing light to others through my work, maybe a reminder to let my own light shine, lighten up, or not to allow my light to dim or be snuffed out by disparaging remarks and insignificant individuals; all of the aforementioned applied to me. I made a mental note and kept pasting. One morning, the most miraculous rays of light beamed from behind the clouds, stopped me mid-stride, lifted my head, caressed my face with their radiance and answered. What was spoken is not important to share, that I was available to hear the enlightenment is what matters.

Just remember…light is not always needed for us to see so be alert and as always…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment