keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

big top

My mother used to say she was running away to join the circus. We’d laugh as we breezed by her to join our friends outside not really understanding what she meant. This past Friday, I had a Murphy’s Law kind of day as I prepared to be out of my office for a week. It started peacefully enough as I took a few photos on my walk to catch the shuttle that would whisk me off to the doors of my place of business. But as soon as I crossed the threshold it was anything but bliss! At 3:48pm, I scribbled a short note that read,

“Dear Friends and Colleagues –

I have had enough! I am running away to join the circus. Farewell, I will miss you.”


I am one who believes in play dates, frequents the spa, and receives a daily message that provides a moment for me to stop and breathe. When the world begins to move at such a dizzying pace that I can’t find let alone catch my breath, thankfully I have a plethora of creative outlets that allow me to escape and renew if only for just a few seconds. For example, I was riding the shuttle one afternoon recently and saw two vintage lamps by the side of the road. I closed my eyes and immediately began to design a room in my head as the tension from the day drained into the seat. During a meeting, my eyes glazed over listening to a self-absorbed person who was clueless to the fact that almost everyone around the table had zoned out. As she rambled on, I jotted notes for a spoken word piece and let my fingers do the scrolling through pictures on my I Phone. On Friday, 30 minutes of trying on jewelry at Maruka's while chatting with my friend who is the owner was the perfect respite to restore peace in my valley... and ok, yes to bring a little more bling to my earring collection.

I completely get the desire to flee the drama that is life, appreciate that my mind and body tap me on the shoulder when it’s time to hang a sign on the door. However, since I have “gone fishing” before both figuratively and literally, I think I’m going to head for the big top. At least I get to dress up and I hear there is a tent going up a few blocks away offering opportunities to be daring on the flying trapeze so…

keep your peepers open! ®

graphic courtesy of Word clip art

No comments:

Post a Comment