keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

a.m. zen

Over the years, I have had different morning rituals. Most included reading from books that had 365 passages, one for each day of the year. A couple of the texts contained lush pictures that aroused my senses when I ran my hands across the page. I always enjoyed this part of my AM stimulation but abandoned it when I began walking. Thinking about it now, it seems like I traded a stationary means of feeding my spirit for one that drew from movement. When I started taking photos on my walks, my senses were once again engaged as I allowed my eyes to run across the landscape. But in my subconscious was a desire that could only be fulfilled by reading words that inspired, motivated, informed; cutting and pasting quotes and short narratives into my journal, daily email messages, and apps on my I Phone have helped though reading from a hardback manuscript can never really be replaced by magazines or electronic methods.

Lately I have come across several one-liners and partial quotes that so resonate with the woman I am right now. Here are three…

“…when a thing can no longer offend, it ceases to exist in the old way.” - Seng Ts’an (d. 606; from daily zen)

“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little more as I grow older.” 
- Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533 – 1592)

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter don’t mind and those that mind don’t matter.”
- Dr. Suess

Words of wisdom pass down from generations past to the present and can come from all types of individuals; coming upon ones that ring true are affirming. The lack of a ritual to center me as I begin my day has left me completely discombobulated on occasion which makes me yearn for the peace that a morning practice brings. I know that a new AM routine is percolating. I have the feeling that a morning reading that sprinkles me with spiritual nuggets from whenever and whoever is about to reintroduce itself so…

keep your peepers open! ®

No comments:

Post a Comment