keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

hotter than july

The weather has been quite uncomfortable for the past few weeks. I kept wondering if we had somehow skipped the month of June and moved straight from May to July, it’s that darn hot! So this morning I was overjoyed to hear the weatherman tell all who tuned in to shut off the air conditioning and open the windows. I bolted out of bed, followed his instructions, threw on my walking clothes and rushed out to enjoy the refreshing morning. Bouncing along I thought about the room I woke up in yesterday at the hotel where my business meeting was taking place, about my walk beside the water five floors down from my corner room with tall windows along two walls which allowed me to recline on the bed and look directly out at the water, see the sunset. As I sit down this evening with my feet propped on the couch, the windows of my own place are wide open, the temperature outside is 77° and the coolness filling the space threatens to lull me to slumber. But before I give in, thinking about mornings and evenings spent at the water over the past week and a half brought me back to my old journal to reread the last entries from that class I took in New York…

I’ve not felt the earth of Africa against my feet or the earth of any other country for that matter but the sands of the Caribbean shores did feel good I long to travel to see foreign lands & let my feet travel where great writers & artists have tread to absorb that energy to know that some rich heritage is waiting to jump into my body through my feet.

I miss the green grass of my grandparents back yard of the trees and flowers beds, grass feels soft nice comforting I’ve made the concrete jungle my home but it’s not my home it’s time to return to a place where I can roll in the grass.

When I moved back to my birthplace almost 10 years ago, it was a homecoming that to this moment continues to redefine the word and it sure does feel like I am rolling in the marvelous comfort of the many unexpected splendors and dreams realized that have occurred since I returned. This year I will feel the earth of Egypt under my feet and plan to visit other shores far from the one I walked along yesterday in the years ahead. No matter where I am, I will continue capturing time in pictures and text. My hope is that by sharing them, others can come along on the journey, will go on some of their own. As I looked out from my hotel room with a view and snapped the glow of evening, I found solace. The sun, moon and stars are the same in all skies. Even when we can’t see them in their orbit, they are still there for all. So as the sun rested in the western sky on the East Coast I sat with my feet propped on the frame of the bed, clicked and wondered who else was admiring the picture…


keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment