keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

sand petals

I woke up yesterday and missed the beach. Waking there last weekend was so soothing; every inch of me longed to smell the sea air, hear the sounds of the water lapping at my feet. I had the pleasure of speaking with each of my friends who was with me down in Bethany and without sharing my thoughts, they each mentioned our little get-away with the same dreamy sigh I had whispered to myself. It seems we all had tried to hang on to the peace of being in a peaceful setting with people who only have our best interest at heart, to hold ourselves in a blissful float hoping that nothing would come along to shatter the calm. So when the disturbances circled during the week, we each had to find a way to keep the negative energy from swallowing our positive spirits. I found myself back in the journal I mentioned on Wednesday and there in free write glory was…

Magnolia tree beside Grandma’s house the first thing we’d do is climb it & inhale the sweet fragrance of white flowers in spring breeze jumping down barefoot a little scrape on the knee because we’d be in a hurry to run barefoot across the hot sidewalk to great gran’s house the relief as we touched down in the cool grass of the front yard & pattered up the wooden steps onto the porch - the screen door slaps behind us - and padded onto the soft familiar carpet in the living room and great grandma would say Hey Baby, you sure is a pretty chile...I miss her.

Sand between my toes the beach at Martha’s Vineyard a fond summer memory from my teen years, I loved running across the sand to the water & diving in, swimming then walking & feeling little shells between on my feet I love the beach it’s been so long since I’ve been there

These back-to-back entries penned over 10 years ago in response to the prompt about our connection to the earth allowed me to close my eyes, take a deep breath and return to last weekend. It so happens that a little over a mile from the sand and forever ocean stood a magnolia tree with the most enormous blooms in both size and fragrance. I ran my hand over words found just when I needed them, lingered over beach and magnolia...felt the sand as it pumiced my soles, drank in the perfume filled air, heard the tinkle of laughter as the waves gently splashed over my ankles, caressed the white silky petals, the velvety underside of green leaves...and once again paid homage to the fact that our destiny is written. And sometimes we may actually scribe a few hints that go unnoticed until that moment when we most need to find our way back.


keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment