keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

night of the wild women

I had the privilege of hosting my first Night with the Wild Women at the The Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery at Smith Farm Center here in DC last week. This two hour session is an abbreviated version of an eight hour workshop so I was a tiny bit apprehensive as I set the tables, positioned to stretch the length of the gallery, to receive whoever stepped through the doors. To my delight, 17 women, some friends many strangers came and found a seat. It was like a gathering for thanksgiving and in a sense it became just that as a few later told me they were thankful they had given themselves permission to be there, willed themselves to come when so many distractions threatened to keep them away.

Two hours of making collages, story sharing and movement breezed by but in that short time wonderful creations happened. I was extremely impressed with what each of the ladies accomplished, even more amazed at the depth of thought that went into determining what their piece would look like…no two collages were even close to being alike. Knowing I had not connected some threads throughout the session, that thoughts right on the tip of my tongue never parted from my lips no longer mattered to me. What did matter was I knew for sure that everyone who gathered had found a visual voice they were proud of and as they held up their work for the group to admire, was affirmed...me included.


keep your peepers open! ®

artwork by t. lassiter

No comments:

Post a Comment