keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

daydreamin'

I was sitting on the side of bed and found myself nodding off, intoxicated from too much heat. I don't remember ever falling into a snooze in that position. Not only did I doze off but I also had a full fledged daydream that felt like I was watching a movie. When my neck jerked me back to wake, the drowsiness pushed me down onto the waiting mattress and as I fell back, the comforter settled over me for naptime.

I can't seem to shake the lethargic pall that has consumed me since the onset of the heat wave. No sooner do I step out the door than my eyes begin to flutter signaling a strong desire to lie-down and catch forty winks. I’m paying close attention to what my body is asking for or telling me to do in an effort to circumvent the negative effects of these high temperatures. To that end, I have set up nap stations in my abode, ready for the recline --sprayed fresh bed linens with lavender mist, fluffed all the pillows,
reading materials in wait for their pages to be turned; ran my cocoa blanket through the wash (it’s strewn over the couch, a lazy lover in wait), put CD and DVD players on pause. Comfy, cozy, they are serving their purpose almost on a daily basis. In fact, I came in from working a long day last week and crashed actually against my will as I went through the mail. I leaned back on the cushion for a moment to read an insert; the next time my eyes saw anything they saw nothing…it was dark!

Now my only issue is the work day when it’s not a work from home day. Other cultures take a siesta, some countries shut down with pay during the heat intense months. I’m not suggesting we close up shop altogether but as long as the temp keeps climbing, I’d be perfectly happy with a cool nook to crawl into for a little sanctioned down time and dreamin’ before the days end because to be completely honest, I have been face down, desk up close and personal, way more than normal in the last few weeks…hence the pillow I just stuck into my purse.


keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment