keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

play do's

Something about summer makes me want to jump through the sprinkler, skid down a Slip ‘N’ Slide. Though I am a huge advocate of returning to childhood play whenever possible, it is so hot out that I am afraid the plastic on anything might stick to my skin (not kidding…my fingers got a serious comeuppance when they made casual contact with a plastic cup that had been basking in the sun, OUCH!). Besides napping, I have amused myself indoors with the grown up version of Play-doh.


Polyform studio clay, a.k.a., Studio by Sculpey Clay comes in 34 delicious colors and takes just 30 minutes to bake up in the oven. The first time I used it a couple of years ago was during my introduction to making pinch pots. I mistakenly thought it was like the clay I had used in ceramics class, that I could manipulate it the same way. I soon discovered that the plasticity of clay that comes from decomposing rocks allows it to hold a vertical shape better than its studio cousin which is a synthetic modeling compound based on the polymer polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It contains no clay minerals at all and would dissolve if placed in a kiln (just the thought of the heat from that oven is making me break out in a sweat right this very second!).

I’ve come a long way baby from a misshapen blob of black with a red dot pot that I pinched back then to some sweet little pieces….


... then I got into a rhythm and feel for a design…



…and now looping little pots has become a relaxing way to beat the heat!

Sculpey is relatively inexpensive (www.dickblick.com) and is not just for adults but just so you know -- the colors can stain, the clay can build up on your hands the longer you work with it without cleaning your hands, and I do not recommend baking your creations in a toaster oven. I singed a bowl that I meticulously sculpted by placing it in one; it took every ounce of control to keep myself from throwing a tantrum! So get some Sculpey, don’t get too serious about it, have some fun making whatever you like and…

keep your peepers open!®

picture of sculpey is from dick blick website

No comments:

Post a Comment