keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

contemptations

An artist I know was working on a series and asked me if I could write something to compliment his canvases, suggested I go to my “dark” side to capture words that would work. My first reaction was I don’t have a dark side so I shrugged it off. But there is a part of me that loves a challenge when it comes to expanding on a thought -- I was tempted, contemplated on the word contemptible and from just that one word, the piece spilled out and along with it a strong visual of sepia tones, of gargoyles high in the sky on the side of buildings watching over the goings on below (couldn't have asked for a better clip art!). I have to admit, I was quite excited and pleased with what I wrote as was the artist who after receiving the poem uttered just one word…inspired!


contemptations © 2009

engaging deviants that seduce with perverse pleasures
enraptured are we.
tempted by the contemptible
no fight or flee
into the sweet stench of sewage we traverse.
drowning in vile
lapping up each drop
an elixir courses through veins
that bind tie tickle strangle
addicted we want more and
acquiesce without a backwards glance.
they peer with cunning discrimination
a spectacle of black scalp hats and raw skin bustiers
foul mustaches over lipstick smeared mouths
twisted smirks mistaken for a smile
beguiling are they.
we trade our souls for six minutes of no pity
six degrees of separation
from scoundrels who gorge on feigned vulnerability
as we willingly let them suck us, fuck us
pick our oozing cries to take me I’m yours, take all of me
and permeate our being.
engaging deviants invading our dreams
with stolen trinkets, treasures that dazzle and destroy
entrapped in la-la land we lie down and become…

phat and fierce, big ballas from City, Suburbia in the good ole U.S. of Our Hood
in double breasted jimmy choo hoodies from target
we strike with lust ridden knives, guns, fists, needles, dicks.
lives next door, sleeps in the next room, lives inside…is us.


keep your peepers open!®

gargoyle photo from word clip art

No comments:

Post a Comment