keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

greatful treats

I popped up at 6AM bright eyed without a backwards glance at the bed as I pulled on my walking clothes. My intention was to do 30 minutes, come in and bake for the mailmen/women in my life, then write. Ninety minutes later followed by a quick grocery store run, I was in the kitchen, Billie crooning in the background (just when I think I have heard her sing everything, another new to my ears tune plays on my Pandora Billie Holiday Station. My maternal grandfather had so many LP’s by her; I have an equal number of CD’s. As a little girl, I would stop what I was doing to listen to what at first sounded like a woman slurring her words; I seemed to understand every one of them. I was so enamored with the sensuality that poured from the phonograph). I love Billie any day of the week but especially on Saturday afternoons and rainy Sundays. Though she often sings with the blues all over, under, around and through that voice, love filters between. When I bake for those who are good to me, it is with great affection which I hope filters into my food.

But sometimes not even love can help a dish, which happened a couple of weeks ago when I first decided it was time to lavish a little attention on those who take such good care to ensure that the many packages I receive make their way into my hands. Thankfully, a little voice suggested that I taste that summer fruit crisp before it made its way into the mouths of my intendeds. It was beyond edible! The tart raspberries overwhelmed the sweet peaches and blueberries making my lips pucker! I lovingly baked a batch of chocolate-pecan scones last weekend that though perfectly delicious and very edible, weren’t the right great treat to express my gratitude. However, I know for sure that these cookies will be well received…I’ve made them before for my guys and gals to rave reviews.

Chocolate Pecan Cookies

Yields approximately 42 medium-sized cookies

Ingredients:

8 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp. Kahlua (OPTIONAL)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
Ground cayenne pepper – couple of good shakes (black or white pepper is fine too)
½ cup sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1½ cup chopped pecans (you can substitute or add dried cranberries, cherries, other nuts, chocolate chips)

How to Make: Preheat oven to 350°

1) Put chocolate pieces and butter in a large heatproof bowl; set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, stir in Kahlua and set aside.



2) In medium bowl, whisk until well blended flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.


3) Whisk both sugars into the chocolate. Add eggs one at a time and whisk quickly and thoroughly after each one (be careful that the eggs don’t cook if the chocolate is still a little warm.)

4) Whisk flour mixture into wet until just combined, do not overmix.

5) Fold in the pecans. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the dough and refrigerate for 40 minutes.



6) Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop well-rounded teaspoons of the dough 1 inch apart onto parchment.

7) Bake until edges are firm not dark, 11-13 minutes.

8) Cool on baking sheet for a minute or two (middles will be very soft and cookies may break if you don’t let them settle) before transfering to a wire rack to let cool completely.



These cookies have a crunchy outside with a brownie like middle and are not overly sweet. Serve with ice cream drizzled with caramel, make ice cream sandwiches or just pour a cold glass of milk!


As I sit here typing, Billie continues to serenade the proceedings of the day, it smells delectable, and as I glance at the pretty out the window, I’m thinking a stroll around the local outdoor market is in order before it closes. But the drive calls for another soundtrack. Gonna’ grab it and dash so...

keep your peepers open!®

ps...Cut #5 off Back in the Day is Eye Know by Del La Soul...it just begs for me to take the top off of my vintage convertible and cruise. Ciao now.

1 comment:

  1. your blog really gets me in the mood to get things done. challenge myself. i love to read them and prosper from how you see things, i am now going to go home put on some pat metheny, bake some oatmeal and raisin cookies, eat a bunch, walk them off and then enjoy the moment. thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete