keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

nile life

Many moons ago, I let go of the car my grandmother gave my sister and me and purchased a sweet little Honda that rarely needed servicing; waiting for it to be finished on one of those occasions was serendipitous. A casual conversation with another customer not only solidified my desire to visit Egypt, a wish that began to brew when I was in grammar school and turned to the picture of the Sphinx in my history book, but enhanced it…there would be no way I would ever go there without taking a cruise on the Nile. The woman recounting her holiday made it sound so exhilarating!

The evening we boarded the boat (after traveling via train from Washington, DC, to grab a cab in NYC that took us to catch our flight from JFK to Cairo followed by several hours of sitting in the airport before we were herded onto the repaired as we watched aircraft to Luxor), I was not so stable walking the wobbling green plank over the Nile. That conquered without me falling into the drink, I was miffed as we made our way through several other boats before we stepped onto ours (boats are docked side-by-side, very new to me). We stayed docked in Luxor for a couple of days as we toured by day; we finally set sail at night.

My friends and I headed up to the top deck, slouched down on the welcoming recliners, and floated along not a care in the world as exhilarated fatigue seeped into the white cushions beneath our bodies. The just right air wrapped itself around me like a comforting comforter, coaxing my tired eyes to flutter and close. I could have easily slipped into a sound sleep up there the moon above, it was just that tranquil. However, I wondered why we were sailing at night. It seemed like a waste to be missing life along the banks of the Nile and when someone commented that most cruises moved from point to point at night, I was beyond disappointed. This could just not be….and thank goodness it was not.

Pictured in the order they were taken:















 


 









keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment