keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

GBLT

When my taste buds requested a BLT this past weekend, my mouth began to water thinking back to the sandwich my grandmother made -- crisp iceberg lettuce, juicy red ripe Jersey tomato slices and thick cut pork bacon piled on white bread toast sans the mayo. I headed to the market to gather all the fixin’s but as I checked out couldn’t help but notice that I had organic lettuce, red tomatoes from a local farm, turkey bacon and whole grain whole wheat bread, oh and Miracle Whip (don’t ask!) in my basket. So was I really making a TBLT (sounds too much like a disease)? Maybe an OBLT (guess I would need to loose the MW to make it organic)? Or maybe a BLT lite?! One thing I do know is my sandwich did not end up tasting like the one of yesteryear when I didn’t have to worry about what was in the food I was eating or how what I was putting in my mouth affected my health. But now that I do, adapting old favorites has become a creative adventure in cooking experimentation with some results more satisfying than others. What I’ve discovered and accepted is there are recipes that just must be prepared with everything old school; I have no problem whipping them up when the craving hits. Reason…my palette and body know they can’t have those things on a regular basis and totally enjoy them when the mood strikes. So perhaps the next time I want one I won’t stray from a GBLT, right grandma?

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment