keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

golden

A funny thing happened not on the way to but at the Grammy’s. Almost asleep while supposedly viewing the festivities, I was jolted to an alert awakened state when I heard the announcement that angered lots of folks based on all the nastiness taking place on Twitter and Face Book. I watched as talent trumped popularity and wondered how on earth Esperanza Spaulding had slipped under my radar. Me, a female vocalist and jazz enthusiast! I stayed tuned in long enough to type myself a note for the next day to check into this young woman of color; in less than 24 hours, I had secured two CD’s, her newest and to my surprise, another that was originally released in 2006. So now I was really baffled…how did I miss this gifted talent who not only plays the bass but has a voice I could get lost with for hours? Upon listening, I realized I had indeed heard her before, wondered who I was hearing that made my ears perk up and tingle with wanting to know, was miffed not being able to find out who the artist was wherever it was that I had heard her music playing.

Thankfully, something shook me from my doze at the right moment to see this bushy haired girl in a gold-toned gown rise to collect her golden prize and the title Best New Artist…and now not only do I know who but also why. Not taking anything from those who did not win, I applaud all the nominees as I sing goodie, goodie for her and shout out cheers to the element of surprise which is our reminder to…

keep your peepers open!®

No comments:

Post a Comment