keep your peepers open!

keep your peepers open!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

significance

Spring is the time for fresh colorful blossoms, green grass and leaves, warm air, rebirth. The season for Easter and Passover, holidays of significance to those who believe and even for some who don’t. I loved Easter when I was young for all of the wrong reasons. There was the pageantry of going shopping for a new outfit, complete with hat, dress and patent leather shoes which I coveted the most (so busy was I spinning around in them one Sunday that I forgot the bottoms are slippery until scuffed, lost my balance and ended up in the doctors office getting stitches sewn into my split open chin…that did not diminish my penchant for those shiny slippers!). Dying eggs was just the best fun and a ritual that I continued into my adult life. In fact, one year I painted them with abstract designs finishing them off with gold trim. Then there were those baskets filled with that strange colorful straw topped with Peeps chicks, jelly beans, and chocolate rabbits, treats we looked forward to.

As I matured and began to understand the true meaning of the holiday, I went to church and began to look forward to the many movies that told the stories of both Christians and Jews reinforcing, albeit in the most dramatic fashion, what the minister had already talked about from the pulpit. And though I no longer run to the mall for a new pair of shoes, dip eggs in food coloring or attend church services, I still watch every movie tearing up throughout each one; spiritually I still appreciate just how significant this time of spring truly is and my heart is full.

The birds are chirping loudly outside my window, one is sitting on the ledge joyously singing the song of this morning. Enjoy today and…

keep your peepers open!®



No comments:

Post a Comment